Vehicle combinations consisting of a towing vehicle of subcategory D1 and a trailer with a total weight of more than 750 kg, provided that the total weight of the combination does not exceed 12,000 kg and the trailer is not used to transport people.
Category D1E (subcategory)
D1 (minimum learner license)
Emergency Response Course
must not be older than 24 months for each application for a learner driving license and must be completed by a Swiss optician/doctor.
Traffic medical examination
have already taken place/fulfilled with the acquisition of towing vehicle category D1.
are only admitted to traffic on the basis of an aptitude report from a neurologist or a doctor specializing in epilepsy.
basic theory exam
Additional theory test
Validity of the learner’s permit
- Learner’s license required
- Accompanying person not required
Exception: if you do not have a driver’s license for category D1, the towing vehicle may only be driven with the required learner’s license and the corresponding accompanying person. Accompanying person requirements:
- 23 years of age completed
- at least 3 years in possession of a category D1E driving licence
- no probationary driver’s license (FAP)
- Only passengers who are in possession of category D1E may be carried.
Additional permissions after acquiring the category
BE, C1E, DE*
* if in possession of the driver’s license category for the corresponding towing vehicle