motor vehicle for passenger transport with more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat; Vehicle combinations consisting of a category D towing vehicle and a trailer whose total weight does not exceed 750 kg.
B (at least 2 years) or C (at least 3 months)
Emergency Response Course
Traffic medical examination
must not be older than 24 months for each application for a learner driving license and must be completed by a Swiss optician/doctor.
are only admitted to traffic on the basis of an aptitude report from a neurologist or a doctor specializing in epilepsy.
basic theory exam
Additional theory test
Evidence that category C motor vehicles or trolleybuses have been driven regularly (220 days/500 hours) and without complaint during one year, in the past two years.
Anyone who can prove that they have successfully completed the minimum training and:
- a. drove a category C motor vehicle or a trolleybus for at least three months, or
- b. has regularly driven category B motor vehicles for at least two years.
is to be completed with a driving instructor who is authorized to give driving lessons with a category D motor vehicle and who holds a category D driver’s license.
The minimum training includes for applicants who:
- a. hold a category B, C1 or D1 driver’s license: 52 driving lessons of at least 45 minutes each;
- b. hold a category C driving license (without driving experience): 24 driving lessons of at least 45 minutes each;
- c. hold a category D driving license limited to scheduled services: 12 driving lessons of at least 45 minutes each.
Validity of the learner’s permit
24 months (category C holders do not need a learner’s license)
- Learner’s license required.
- accompanying person required.
- Learner drives may only be undertaken with a companion who has reached the age of 23 and has held a category D driver’s license for at least three years and is no longer on probation.
Practice drives: Driving a motor vehicle whose driver does not require a learner driver’s license and which is carried out in preparation for a practical driver’s test. On practice drives with vehicles of subcategory D1, the accompanying person according to Article 15 paragraph 1 SVG, the driving instructor, the traffic expert and other learner drivers may ride along; the driver of the vehicle must carry confirmation of admission to the driving test for subcategory D1.
CZV – the Chauffeur Licensing Ordinance
If you make trips with category D that do not fall under the exceptions of the CZV, you also need the certificate of ability for passenger transport.
Additional permissions after acquiring the category
B, B1, C1, D1, F, G, M, BPT
|HEARING||Hearing distance for conversational speech 3 m on both sides, with one-sided deafness 6 m. No serious diseases of the inner or middle ear.|
|ALCOHOL, NARCOTICS AND PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS||
|ORGANIC BRAIN DISORDERS||
|DISEASES OF THE RESPIRATORY AND ABDOMINAL ORGANS||No illnesses associated with increased daytime sleepiness and no other illnesses or disabilities that affect the ability to drive a motor vehicle safely or impair driving-related performance.|
|DISEASES OF THE SPINE AND MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM||No deformity, disease, paralysis, result of injury or surgery significantly affecting the ability to drive a motor vehicle safely, which cannot be adequately corrected by facilities.|