For those under the age of 20, there is a minimum training period of 12 months from the time the learner driving license is issued. This does not apply to people who acquired a category B learner’s license before December 31, 2020. Transitional law: Anyone who turns 18 in 2021 and acquires a category B learner driver’s license this year will be admitted to the practical driving test from their 18th birthday, even if they have not held the learner driver’s license for a year.
Emergency Response Course
must not be older than 24 months for each application for a learner driving license and must be completed by a Swiss optician/doctor.
Traffic medical examination
- First-time study of over 65-year-old or physically disabled applicants for a learner’s permit
- if there are any doubts about your fitness to drive
are only admitted to traffic on the basis of an aptitude report from a neurologist or a doctor specializing in epilepsy.
basic theory exam
except owner cat. A/A35kW, A1 or B1
Additional theory test
except owner cat. A/A35kW, A1 or B1.
Validity of the learner’s permit
- Learner’s license required.
- accompanying person required. Learner drives may only be undertaken with a companion who has reached the age of 23 and has held a category B driver’s license for at least three years and is no longer on probation.
- The handbrake must be able to be operated by the passenger at any time.
Additional permissions after acquiring the category
B1, F, G, M
Further authorizations after passing the driving test category B
Light motor vehicles of subcategory D1:
- for breakdown repairs and towing
- for transferring and testing vehicles in connection with the vehicle trade, with repairs or modifications to the vehicle
- for testing new vehicles by manufacturers and importers
- for appraisal of vehicles by experts
- for the official vehicle inspection and trips to this inspection
Electric rickshaws and towing agricultural trailers or trailers for the fire brigade, the police and civil protection
Probationary driver’s license
In order to obtain the unlimited driver’s license, one further training course must be attended within the first 12 months of the probationary period. After the probationary period has expired, the definitive driving license will be sent to you directly by the road traffic office in your canton of residence.